Rio Rancho Public Schools
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, 2014–2017
Description of engagement:
In 2014 Campbell Consulting was retained to produce a twenty-year commemorative history book for Rio Rancho Public Schools. In 2015, Campbell was retained to lead a discovery process with school district stakeholders to build an organizational strategy and compelling identity to prepare the School System for success over the next twenty years. Jason Walker with Monsoon Design joined with Campbell to design the history book and the new school district logo. The three-year partnership ended in the winter of 2017, due to state funding reductions for all NM schools.
The strategic challenge: Rio Rancho Public Schools was approaching its twenty-year anniversary and sought to document the district’s journey. There was much to celebrate and a terrific story to tell. The superintendent wanted to honor the people who had contributed to the district’s success. As the book developed it became clear that it was time to revisit the district’s overall strategy and culture with a focus on developing a strong future position within the community.
The strategy response: Conducted a comprehensive assessment of the district’s existing strategy and identity to produce 1) a refreshed strategic position (mission, vision, and strategy), 2) a redefined market position (brand identity, brand expression and logo, and 3) a strategy and portfolio of tactics for the district’s community outreach program to yield increased engagement with staff, parents and community leaders around student success. The new vision became “Igniting Student Success” and was used as the organizing theme for engaging teachers, community leaders, parents and board members to develop new strategies for student success.
Services provided included:
- Strategic marketing consultation
- Design, writing, and production of a twenty-year history of the Rio Rancho Public Schools
- A twenty-year strategic framework for the school district to yield:
- Stakeholder and student research to yield Strengths, Opportunities Weaknesses, and Threats (SWOT) analysis.
- Teacher, Student and parent focus groups
- Governance retreat and team development workshops
- Refreshed mission, vision values, and strategies for the entire district
- Redesign of the school district’s logo to reflect the new vision and values of the district with graphics standards packet
Results: The strategic plan was adopted by the school board and implemented. A new logo was approved and adopted throughout the district and reflects the district’s focus on their vision “Igniting Student Success”. The 20-year history book was produced and distributed to staff stakeholders and throughout the Rio Rancho community.
Samples of the work produced for Rio Rancho Public Schools include: